Here at Cafe2U we’re all about coffee (it’s literally our lives!). We have found the most interesting and intriguing facts that we could find out about one of the nation’s favourite drinks.
Believe us this will perk up your day.
We drink a lot in the UK
In the UK we approximately drink around 95 million coffee cups a day
- Every scene of the 1999 film Fight Club has a coffee cup hidden in it somewhere. Keep your eyes peeled
- King Charles II banned coffee shops in England in 1675, because he believed that people were meeting there to conspire against him. Cafe2U would have still been ok then!
Fancy a challenge?
- If you shouted for 8 years, 7 months and 6 days, you would have produced enough energy to have heated up one cup of coffee. We advise you do not do this
Bet you didn’t know this…
Despite commonly referring to coffee beans, the part of the coffee plant that is roasted and ground is actually the pit of a red fruit called a coffee cherry that looks more like a dried pea!
Fancy a large one?
- The largest cup of coffee ever was brewed in July 2014 in South Korea. It was over 3,700 gallons. The largest iced coffee was brewed in Las Vegas in 2010, and was 1,500 gallons — ice not included! Think we’d need a bigger van.
It guarantees a pick me up!
- A group of scientists reported that simply inhaling the aroma of coffee can alter the activity of some genes in the brain, reducing the effects of sleep deprivation. And when you do drink that cup of coffee, caffeine reaches your blood fast, like 10 minutes fast.
A lucky discovery!
Legend has it a 9th-century Ethiopian goat herder called Kalida discovered coffee by accident when he noticed how crazy the beans were making his goats.
A reasonable decision…
In the ancient Arab culture there was only one way a woman could legally divorce: If her husband didn’t provide enough coffee.
- The most expensive coffee in the world is Indonesia’s Kopi Luwak or civet coffee. It is made from coffee beans that have been eaten and recycled by an animal called the Asian palm civet. These beans sell for more than $600 a pound, or $50 a cup. We assure you at Cafe2U – we wont charge you this much! Promise.